Monday, October 1, 2007

Revealing Chicago, PIcturing Chicago, Chicago Imagebase Blog: 7



This has to be one of my favorite blog posts! Photography is one of my favorite hobbies and getting to view different parts of Chicago is a treat! This picture is actually one that I took on a walk around millennium park.

Revealing Chicago: This website is very interactive and I liked how you can choose from many different neighborhoods. I actually clicked on an area and it was a picture of UIC from west to east. They mentioned how it was a great research school that was founded in 1890. From the beginning, they admitted minorities and women where other universities wouldn't! Another thing I really enjoyed about this website were all it's views from up high. It gives a perspective on what the city looks like as a whole, not just bits and pieces that we see. There were pictures of more rural parts of Chicago, and it was great to see other perspectives of this vast city.

Picturing Chicago: I was clicking through and saw a lot of pictures from the magnificent mile in the past few years. It's always very nice to see different perspectives; I myself have seen the same buildings and streets, but the way the photographer makes them look makes me think that every individual sees our great city differently.

Chicago Imagebase: Our very own UIC came up with lots of digital maps of our city and this is actually very helpful in getting around.

In Chicago, whenever I have my camera with me I tend to take pictures of interesting artwork - whether it may be graffiti or local shoppes or restaurants with cool decor. I would actually be interested in taking a day around Chicago just to take in the nightlife around wicker park. I would photograph these aspects of Chicago because you can't find anything like it in other places, and especially not the suburbs.

No comments: