Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Funny thing on Chicago accents. Blog 8.

Not too long ago, when I had a friend visit from South Carolina, I was reminded of our "Chicagoan" accents. How we unnecessarily drag out our "ahh's." Having lived here for so long, I neglect the fact that my accent may be very noticeable to those who don't live in the Midwest! My friend Adam just reminded me of this. I was talking about Madison, Wisconsion to him when he said "mAAHHHHDAHsin" in a joking matter. I told him I didn't say it like THAT but he assured me that me and everyone around Chicago had the same accent. That's when I really listened to what he was saying. We do indeed drag out our A's, because when he spoke, he says "Chicago" instead of "Chacaaaahgo."

I was recently also in New York City. The Long Island accent is spectacular. My friend's mother had it, and I was so amused by how she spoke. Even my friend Erica has a bit of an NY accent, even though she's lived here for several years of her life. Anytime I hear accents, British, Southern, foriegn... anything... I get very entertained.

No comments: