Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Hull House! Blog: 9

How could I forget our visit to the Hull house! Jane Addams was the first woman that ever received a Nobel Peace Prize. She spent the majority of her life at the settlement house in Chicago - the Hull House. I had never been inside the Hull House until we had our tour a little while ago for class. The one place I had been in before was the 'conference' room. It was in a SOC class I had last semester and people hold musical acts or traditional meetings in there all the time! I found it fascinating that they were able to preserve, or at least keep what they could of the building. It gives you a real sense of what the place was like when it was first built.

I thought the painting of the Hull House was funny, because it was just what the artist had imagined it to look! I didn't know that the pillars and the '3rd' floor didn't exist in the original foundation of the house.

The girl who talked us through the different parts of hull house was very good at giving us examples of how life was lived.

At the end, there was an entire question on Addam's friendship with Mary. I don't know what her 'lifelong companion' Mary Smith had to do with it all. I wish we had more information on Mary Smith and exactly what she helped with at the Hull House.


An early picture of the Hull House.

No comments: