Thursday, November 15, 2007

Random: final words on UPP! Blog 30



So, with the final post I just wanted to talk about some of the things I've learned from UPP202! I liked how class was very integrated with our readings but also taught us things that have to do with how and where we live. One of the most memorable things was the visit to the Hull House. I honestly have been at this school three years and never saw the inside of that place until our trip! It was nice to learn about the history of that place and Jane Addams.

In the beginning of the semester, I learned a lot about why 'cool' neighborhoods were so high in density and successful. It requires solid housing, an immigrant population, crime, and drugs (oh no!). Actually, these things remind me of why New York and Chicago are such popular cities. Starving artists and the post graduate crowd both look for cheap housing and an efficient transportation system along with creativity.

Aside from that, I remember the carbon footprint and how the United States produces so much extra CO2 waste. I remember an event in New York that gathered a bunch of famous musicians in the effort to acknowledge people in saving our environment. Live Earth was a huge hit and energy efficient lightbulbs flew off the shelves!

Either way, I learned tons of things aside from what I just blogged about, it's been a great semester and I know I'll take things with me that I never thought about before! :)

No comments: