Friday, September 14, 2007

Census Tract: Blog 2

For my census tract I had observed statistics of my area in 2000: it seemed as though not much has changed. I focused on two main things: The economic state and race.

As far as employment goes in 2000, 66.5% of people over the age of 16 were in the labor force. This number makes sense. The United States average is 63.9%. I see and know many students who work in this area and they all travel by train or car. It notes that the mean travel time is 27 minutes- I could even imagine it being longer for those who rely on public transportation! In 1999, the median earnings was higher than the united stages average. From hearing about people's jobs and having worked in Chicago myself, low skill jobs usually pay higher here than in the suburbs. Even if it is 50 cents to a dollar.

In 2000, there were a high number of whites, and then blacks coming in with the 2nd highest number. I feel as though with the university village buildings and other new structures to be built, I see more white and Asian people in this area, and less black. Where Asians only make up 3.6% of the united states population, I believe that more immigrants have come in since 2000. I also would believe that the number of people with 'two or more races' is likely to have risen in the last 7 years.

No comments: